Emotional Regulation

--Emotional Regulation
Emotional Regulation 2017-01-31T14:35:16-08:00

Home Forums Parents & Caregivers Emotional Regulation

• Author
    Participant
    #1555 |

Any tips on how to help preschoolers regulate their emotions? Tips for children who go from 0-10 when they become frustrated? What works for your family?

• tink
    Participant

My kids are older now, but I recall using time outs effectively. If my kids weren’t listening, sometimes I would tell them “mommy needs a time out” and shut myself in the bathroom for 2-3 minutes. They were so concerned about what I did that was ‘wrong’, they would be all ears when I came out of the bathroom, and it gave us the opportunity to talk about whatever issue we were dealing with. Also, it gave them the idea that grown ups made mistakes from time to time. The follow up reflection period was a very good time to work out troubling behavior or issues. (The time I spend alone in the bathroom for 2-3 minutes just gave me the chance to look myself in the mirror, and remind myself that I actually CHOSE to become a parent!) Hope this helps, instructor!

• spudgie
    Participant

I think you need to find a way to get them to refocus. If you can get them to take a walk with you, great. In the moment, have them take a deep breath and release it. Even a toy they love, something like a calming bear, can help in the moment. Training a toddler or preschooler how to redirect their emotions is a learned behavior.

• tink
    Participant

I think something like yoga for children might help, Instructor. Have you ever tried something like that? Spudgie suggested “redirecting their emotions”. I think there are mommy and me classes that teach these skills.

• pooch
    Participant

Hello,
    I used to work for a PEI (Prevention and Early Intervention Program) and they have many tools to help children regulate their temperaments. For instance, we would use cooling down techniques, like smelling a flower and blowing out a candle. This would each the child to breathe properly, in thru the nose and out through the mouth. We would squeeze the lemon, just like a stress ball, but the fragrance is soothing. We would also use emotion coaching, with different feelings charts. This allows the child to know it is “OKAY” to feel the way they do, but what we do with that feeling is what’s important. All this comes from the “Incredible Years” curriculum. Check out their website!
    Hope this helps!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.