Welcome to the Children, Youth & Family (CYF) Liaison Meetings and Training Information Page. We invite you to learn about upcoming events and ways in which you can participate with NAMI San Diego’s CYF Liaison Team.
Family and community engagement are the heart of what we do within the Children, Youth & Family (CYF) Liaison. As the County designated CYF Liaison within the San Diego Affiliate of the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI San Diego), we are passionate about supporting families: parents, caregivers, youth and Transition Age Youth with behavioral and mental health concerns.
We work to ensure the Children’s System of Care is family friendly and understands the importance of lived experience. We provide parent support groups & classes, youth oriented digital platforms, professional training sessions, town hall style meetings, online focus groups, a strong community presence and a strong family voice.
In addition to supporting the family sector, we aim to strengthen the public and private sectors through improving collaboration between mental health professionals and Family / Youth Partners (CYF peer staff with lived experience). We want you to get to know all about the good work we do, and learn about the ways we can best support you.
Come engage with us in support of mental health and awareness for all San Diego area families!
FAMILY VOICE TOWN HALL MEETING – for Families in the San Diego area.
NAMI San Diego is the community’s voice on mental health and wellness. The Children, Youth & Family Liaison, a program of NAMI San Diego, seeks to uphold the power of lived experience in the Children’s System of Care.
- Do you (or a family you support) parent a child or youth with mental health needs? #YourVoiceMatters
- Do you love someone who care-takes a child or youth with behavioral health concerns? #YourVoiceMatters
- Are YOU a Youth or Young Adult (through age 24) engaged in the Behavioral Health System of Care? #YourVoiceMatters
Share your story! Share your Voice! Bring your challenges & successes. Give feedback to the system! Make a difference! Learn about new programs, supports and practices that may benefit your family.
Calling all parents, caregivers, youth and transition age youth….The Family Voice Town Hall (FVTH) is an open, free, public community meeting and is a place and space for you to share your voice. Open to all families, engaged in the Children’s System of Care (CSOC), we want also want to hear from CSOC Family Support Partners and Providers too! Bring your challenges, successes, barriers and positive stories to share. If your family has had experience with programs, mental health staff, therapy or psychiatrist, or peer staff, we want to hear what you have to say! #YourVoiceMatters
You are invited to join us for Refreshments & Conversation! Opportunity drawing available!
NORTH COUNTY LOCATION: Oceanside Public Library, 330 N. Coast Highway, Oceanside, CA 92054
CENTRAL LOCATION: NAMI San Diego, 5095 Murphy Canyon Rd, Ste 320, San Diego, CA 92123
EAST COUNTY LOCATION: El Cajon Library, 201 E. Douglas Ave, El Cajon, CA 92020
SOUTH COUNTY LOCATION: Chula Vista CIVIC Library, 365 F Street, Chula Vista, CA 91910
FY 2017/18 MEETING DATES:
June 7, 2018, 12:00 – 1:30 pm – EAST COUNTY Location RSVP CYFLiaison@namisd.org or call/text (858) 987-2980
June 21, 2018, 6:00 – 7:30 pm – CENTRAL Location RSVP CYFLiaison@namisd.org or call/text (858) 987-2980
For additional information, contact CYFLiaison@namisd.org or call/text (858) 987-2980
FAMILY SUPPORT PARTNER MONTHLY COACHING MEETINGS
A monthly support meeting for Family Support Partners, and parents who wish to become Family Support Partners, this meeting is a one hour special topic coaching meeting followed by a 1 hour support and sharing meeting. Providers and general public is invited to attend the Coaching session of the meeting, generally taking place the first hour of the meeting. Please double check the special Meeting Topic notes next to each meeting date. For more information, please email CYFLiaison@namisd.org or call (858) 987-2980
March 23, 2018 – Phenomenal Families with Sarah Pauter, MPPA
April 27, 2018 – Union of Pan Asian Communities – Alliance for Community Empowerment with Celest Hunter
May 25, 2018 – Fred Finch Youth Center with Julian Perez
June 22, 2018 – San Diego Center for Children – Foster Family Agency Stabilization and Treatment – FFAST with Lauren Gray, LCSW
Meeting Location: 5059 Murphy Canyon Road, San Diego, CA 92123
RSVP by clicking here to entering http://bit.ly/FSPc2017 into you internet browser. If you have any questions or would like assistance registering for the Coaching Meeting please contact us at CYFLiaison@namisd.org or call or text (858) 987-2980
FAMILY YOUTH FOCUS GROUP MEETING – ONLINE FORMAT – NEW! Join Us on Facebook LIVE!
The Family Youth Focus Group Meetings are for parents and caregivers of youth, Providers, Family Youth Partners, and anyone who supports families engaged in behavioral health services and the Children’s System of Care. Meetings are used as a Focus Group and dedicated to discussing Best Practices in the current system of care and how we all can continue to improve or develop service systems to help families thrive. We want to hear what is working, emerging practices, programs, and policies.
Facebook LIVE is our NEW meeting platform! Join in on the 1st Tuesday of the last month in each quarter at 2:00 PM PST as we meet to discuss the system of care and what is important to you / your program. The meeting also includes a *NEW!* Hot Topic conversation prompt. This space will be updated as meeting topics become available. To join us, visit and Like the NAMI San Diego Facebook page, here.
“WORKING TOGETHER” – 4-Hour In-Person & Live Training:
Working Together is a FREE Live, Interactive 4-hour In-Person training, offering a wealth of information to help all participants, Parents and Caregivers, Providers and Family / Youth Partners involved in the care and support of children, youth and families engaged in San Diego’s CYFBHSOC work efficiently together. Gain training strategies and tools to work more efficiently with colleagues and mental health partners to support families within the behavioral health field. 4 CE (Continuing Education Hours) available to qualified participants.
*For additional information, PLEASE email CYFLiaison@namisd.org or call / text (858) 987-2980.
Training Dates for FY 2018/19:
- Wednesday, September 12, 2018 from 12:30 – 4:30 PM. Sign up for this training date here: Sign up link coming SOON!
- * 2-Part Training! Part A: Tuesday, November 6 from 10:00 am – 12:00 pm AND Part B: Tuesday, December 4 from 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM. *Participants must attend BOTH training dates to receive course credit! To sign up for these two dates, click here: Sign up link coming SOON!
*If you have additional questions, please send us an email with your name, organization, phone number to CYFLiaison@namisd.org or call/text (858) 987-2980 .
Meeting Location: 5059 Murphy Canyon Road, Ste 320, San Diego, CA 92123
“PEP – Parents Empowering Parents – #OurVoicesMatter” – MONTHLY PARENT SUPPORT & COACHING MEETING
This Free, Open Monthly support meeting is for parents, caregivers and loved ones of children and youth who are looking for support and/or have historically, currently, or need to be engaged in county funded behavioral health services. No one will be turned away! This support group and coaching meeting features one hour of Sharing and Caring, followed by an hour Coaching meeting by a guest speaker who is also a Parent of one who lives with a mental illness. This meeting takes place the THIRD Wednesday of each month from 6:00 – 8:00 PM at NAMI San Diego, 5095 Murphy Canyon Rd, Ste 320, San Diego, Ca. 92123. Parents and Caregivers ONLY.
Upcoming featured speakers:
- July 18, 2018 – Jennifer M. Gerstenzang, Attorney at Law, with expertise in the criminal justice system and the juvenile justice system will provide an overview of Family Advocacy: understanding your loved one’s criminal case and learning how and when you can get your voice heard in the court process.
Please RSVP using our Eventbrite system by clicking http://bit.ly/PEP1819. Meeting is free. Any questions, email CYFLiaison@amisd.org or call/text (858) 987-2980.
* NEW CLASSES ANNOUNCED – NAMI Basics!*
NAMI Basics is a free, 6-week education program for parents and family caregivers of children and teens under the age of 18 who are experiencing symptoms of a mental illness or whom have already received a mental illness diagnosis. NAMI Basics is offered in a group setting so you can connect with other people face-to-face. You’ll learn the facts about mental health conditions and how best to support your child at home, at school and when they’re getting medical care. Last year, 99% of participants told us they would recommend the program to other parents. The course is taught by a trained team with lived experience—they know what you’re going through because they’ve been there. The 6-session program provides critical strategies for taking care of your child and learning the ropes of recovery.
*INTEREST LIST NOW FORMING!* NAMI Basics for Professionals!
NAMI San Diego is now offering a chance for behavioral health professionals working in the Children, Youth and Families (CYF) Behavioral Health (BH) System of Care (SOC) to help them understand the impact that mental health conditions have on the youth as well as the families they serve. This is a rare opportunity for mental health clinicians, counselors, therapists, social workers, educators and program staff that do NOT have lived experience as a parent or primary caregiver of a youth with behavioral health needs to learn the unique nature of the family experience. The information shared in NAMI Basics will equip CYFBHSOC program staff with unique insights that can enable them to work more collaboratively with families as part of the treatment team. To be added to an interest list for the next class, please send an email to CYF Liaison at email@example.com or by clicking here.
*NEW CLASS!* NAMI Basics for Parents and Caregivers!
At NAMI Basics, you’ll find out that you’re not alone. Recovery is a journey, and there is hope. The group setting of NAMI Basics provides mutual support and shared positive impact—you can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who understand your situation. You also can help others with your own experience.
NAMI Basics covers:
- Managing crises, solving problems and communicating effectively
- How to take care of yourself and handle stress
- Developing the confidence and stamina to support your child with compassion
- Advocating for your child’s rights at school and in health care settings
- Learning about current treatments, including evidence-based therapies, medications and side effects
- Gaining an overview of the public mental health care, school and juvenile justice systems
- Understanding the challenges and impact of mental health conditions on your entire family
*PLEASE NOTE: This class runs for 6 consecutive weeks and participants are asked to attend EACH class, as course material and learning builds upon each week’s lessons. To sign up for an upcoming class, follow the links below to sign up directly on Eventbrite. If you have additional questions, please email CYFLiaison@namisd.org OR call/text (858) 987-2980.
Please let us know which version of NAMI Basics you are interested in attending:
- NEW CLASS COMING SOON!: The Provider Course is for Family Youth Partners, Providers and Professionals working in the education or behavioral health field and supporting families of children with concerning behaviors or a mental health diagnosis. To be added to our Interest List: Email CYFLiaison@namisd.org OR call/text (858) 987-2980 for any questions or additional information, and to add your name to an interest list.
- TWO NEW PARENT/CAREGIVER CLASSES!
- Starting May 22, 2018: The Parent Course is for parents and caregivers of youth. This 6 week class is filled with education and support. CLASS SIZE IS LIMITED! To RSVP and Save Your Space: Visit THIS LINK and sign up for the Tuesday evening course using Eventbrite.
- Starting July 21, 2018: A Saturday Morning class option for Parents and Caregivers who have a hard time making an evening class. This 6 week class is filled with education and support. CLASS SIZE IS LIMITED! To RSVP and Save Your Space: Visit THIS LINK and sign up for the Saturday morning course using Eventbrite.
1-Hour ONLINE Training: “PRINCIPLES OF FAMILY YOUTH PROFESSIONAL PARTNERSHIPS”
* Training content is currently being updated. Please re-visit this page after July 1, 2018 to learn more and sign up for the Free Online training Principles of Family Youth Professional Partnerships (PFYPP) as soon as revisions are completed.
Please contact the CYF Liaison with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text to (858) 987-2980.